Tips to sleep better, here are 10 ways that ensure you get good rest, feel healthy
Tips to sleep better: A good night’s sleep is essential to keep you healthy and energetic. Follow these expert approved tips to sleep better.
Little things, be it room temperature, the darkness, sound disturbance and the colour can make a huge difference in the quality of sleep you get. “Quick, restful, deep sleep is something that comes from being in a peaceful state of mind. When you are free of mental baggage, you can sleep anywhere. However, it is important to have a comfortable environment tuned to your specific needs to be able to optimise sleep,” said Sanjay Ghosh, MBBS, MD, General Medicine,Upasana Diagnostic Centre in Kolkata.
Ghosh and Alphonse Reddy, CEO and co-founder of Sunday Mattresses share tips to help you sleep like a baby:
* Avoid taking naps in the afternoon or any other time in the day so you hit your bed exhausted at bedtime.
* At bedtime, don’t stress about how many hours of sleep you’ll get before you have to drag yourself to another long tiring day at work. Nothing works better than easing yourself to sleep with no negative thoughts.
* Your bedroom should be your personal happy space, your cocoon. Make sure you have the lighting and decor done to your taste. The temperature should be right.
* Your bed should allow you enough space to stretch and roll without being cramped. Get a pillow that fits your contours. Sleep with the right posture, without kicking your partner or kids out of the bed. If you’re single, enjoy the luxury of having the ‘whole’ bed to yourself and sleep on that thought.
At bedtime, don’t stress about how many hours of sleep you’ll get before you have to drag yourself to another long tiring day at work. ( Shutterstock )
* There are some things you just can’t help. Are you a morning person or a night person? If you’re a morning person, there is no way you are going to stay up with till late. You’ll go to bed early and wake up early.
* No matter how hard a day you’ve had, you owe yourself an hour or two to wind down. Do what makes you happy before you go to bed. Read a book, paint, watch a movie, knit, work out, dance. A happy mind equals sound sleep.
* When most of us follow a rigorous 9-5 work day, our food habits almost always go out the window. Don’t eat dinner at 11pm. You’re guaranteed to have heartburn leaving you tossing and turning through the night. Eat dinner by 8 pm.
* Sun your mattresses and pillows regularly. A damp, mouldy bed and pillow not only gives you bodyache, but also snatches your sleep away.
* Warm milk before bed will help you fall asleep.
* Ensure you sleep at the same time every day. When you start out on your schedule, it might not work but our body clocks are miracle time-keepers and adapt to everything, provided you follow habits.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more